Through The Looking Glass: Life With A Disability

Angel Williams, Photo Editor

Growing up with a disability is not easy. Everything might look completely different than what it actually is. As a person who has grown up with a Learning Disability, I know the struggle. You have to learn how to cope with everything and not overthink it, everything is harder to understand, and half the time you can’t focus.
In my research I found a word people commonly use to describe a disability, lack, for me I don’t find disabilities as a “lack” I find it as a difference.
An article from disabled-world.com states that, Disabilities are either physical, mental, cognitive, sensory, emotional, developmental or some combination of these. The article also shares, a disability may occur during a person’s life or may be present since birth.
For these students, schools have many programs, including an IEP, Individualized Educational Plan. It’s a program or plan for a child who has a identified disability, under the law, that is attending an educational institution that receives specialized instructions.
Since elementary school I’ve been on an IEP. When I was in 3rd grade I didn’t even know the whole alphabet. I was 3 grades behind my peers. After being placed on an IEP I got into all regular classes by grade five. Now, in 9th grade, I’m one of the top students in my grade. I’ve almost passed my peers, being on the IEP helped take away unnecessary stress and anxiety.
Having these programs are very helpful and some teachers feel that they are very helpful. “I think that the programs we have are good for everyone and they get a unique perspective on everything by working one-on-one,” English teacher Amy Miller states.
Big Sky has a peer tutor program and Exceptionalities class for students to work with peers that have a disability. “Sometimes it’s easier to understand class work form a peer,” Miller states.
Some students all over the world judge and make fun of kids who have a disability. They don’t realize how much this affects that person, like for example let’s say your friend was autistic and you heard people laughing at the fact that another person who is around you is autistic. Think of it like this: sure they aren’t “normal” but there is no such thing as normal. Everyone is different. It’s who we are not what we have that matters.
“The most important part of having a disability is for the student to be able to explain their disability, and for them to advocate to others when needed. Having a disability isn’t easy and students need to be aware” says LyaAnn Bryant, Special education teacher at Big Sky.
On Monday May 8th during lunch, WyAnn Northrop sat in the main hall with a respect poster for students to sign. When you signed the poster you would get a bracelet and a pen. “We’re trying to bring awareness so they will tell their friends to stop disrespecting people who have a disability,” Northrup says. “If I hear people in the halls I’ll stop them and tell them they need to use a different word.”
It’s not just students that are using this horrible word, it’s even parents. “When I would go to track meets I would tell parents and adults not to say that word, most of them were apologetic but others would yell at me saying, ‘who are you to tell me what to do’,” says Northrop.
There are other students who have learning disabilities here at Big Sky. “I have a learning disability,” Freshman Elijah Greathouse shares “The toughest part for me I’d have to say is reading. I’m at a low reading level but I’m working my way up.”
With having a learning disability you have to find ways to help you focus, these tool can be music, working alone, and many more. “Working independently and being in a quiet place is what helps me focus. I get distracted easily,” Greathouse states.
When you have a disability that affects you, you have to learn how to cope with it. “I was pretty lucky,” Miller shares. “I had a positive attitude and I went to therapy.”
When having a disability sometimes you have to improvise to do what you need to do. “With my disability I just do what I can, improvise, and figure out how to do what you need. In General it’s just a part of my life. It’s been 26 years since I’ve been hurt,” Miller shares.