Music In Class

Mackenzie+Listening+to+Music+in+the+library+

Brinleigh Mudd

Mackenzie Listening to Music in the library

Angel Williams, Photo Editor

Have you ever had a hard time focusing while doing yourhomework and turned on some music to help? Did you know that music helps people who have ADD/ADHD focus?

Studies show that students with ADD/ADHD can benefit from tools that get banned in classes, like gum and music. However some people, including many teachers, find music as a distraction. So how can our school make it fair for everyone during class?

Music is calming, and calmed children with ADHD are better able to focus and pay more attention to what they are doing, says Mechelle Chestnut MD in an article from everydayhealth.com.

Some students can have background sounds while they work on their homework. “Music helps me focus when I’m doing my homework” says Freshman Jill Norton states.

Some teachers want their students to listen to music that is familiar and comfortable. “Music that inspires curiosity, music that causes an emotional response, and intellectual/physical response,” says Band Teacher Jesse Dochnahl

That emotional response is different for every student when it comes to music. “I listen to music to Country and Pop,” Freshman Jasmine Cherry says “because they are my favorite genres and are easy to relate to.” “I listen to Hip Pop, R&B, Pop” Norton says “because i like the artists”

Most students think that teachers should allow music in class while they work on homework for many reasons.“Some kids need music so they won’t talk to a friend in class.” Cherry states. Norton agrees, saying “It can help certain people focus while they work”

Most students listen to music while they work on homework. “I listen to music when I work on homework because my house is really loud and I need to focus,” Cherry shares.

There are also those who can’t have background sounds such as music, talking, giggling, or even just a door opening. “When music is playing it distracts me, mainly it depends on the music I’m listening to,” Sophomore Shree Busbye states

An article from mlive.com states that when we were in grade school we learned through music we learned the alphabet in a song, we learned the state’s in a song, and if you’re learning a foreign language, you learn how to count though a song.

Some teachers like Science Teacher Dietrich Perchy do allow students to listen to music while working on homework. “If my students are doing homework yes, but if its normal class no, like in biology with longer assessments I allow them to listen to music, as long a s i can’t hear it and it isn’t distracting their neighbor,” Perchy states.

During school isn’t always the best time to listen to music, like when your teacher is teaching a lesson you need to be able to hear what they are saying. “ I’d like it if students would wait to listen to music tell in between classes, High school is the last time you get your hand held,” Perchy says, “I don’t think music can help students focus, because of the level of multitasking used to do so.”

Some teachers like Science Teacher Craig Messerman, makes cell phone policies and give breaks during the class, “I now give a 10 minute break  during class, the trade off is for listening to music, unless they’re doing a project. Students aren’t complaining as much about being asked to put their phones away.”

Listening is a good tool to have. We need it in our everyday lives.

Headphones can also be bad for your health, Most students blast their music in their ears not realizing/caring about the damage that is being caused, according to a senior paper on MP3 written By Paytience Williams, many people know the risks of listening to loud music and truly don’t care. Also that people who have MP3 turn up the volume to block hearing unnecessary tones or horrible quality sound, which over time could cause hearing loss.

Most teachers are concerned about how loud students are listening to their music with their headphones, “A big concern of mine is when a student is listening to music on their own devices that the student keeps in mind of their ears,” Dochnahl says “Earbuds cause hearing loss, also known as tinnitus, caused by the high decibel level for long periods of time. Our ears don’t repair themselves and that can be taken for granted when you’re young, I would know because i have hearing loss from that reason.”

Perchy agrees saying “whatever volume you are listening to your music at turn it down 3 notches don’t get Tinnitus.”

Music is a helpful tool that many students take for granted. Music should be allowed to those who find it helpful, and maybe all teachers should give a short break in class to listen to music for those who find listening to music distracting.