Unconventional Warriors

Unconventional+Warriors

Brendan Saichompoo, Staff Writer

Who are the men that provide your freedom? These men train for years enduring extremely tough, painful, dangerous situations day to day to become one of America’s elite Soldiers. They step into the darkness of the unknown in distant lands that are inhabited by terrorists and enemies of the world.

These men do so without fear because they know they have prepared themselves both physically and mentally to accomplish missions that put them in danger again and again. They do this for themselves, their families, and every American. The men are the United States Army Special Forces known as the “Green Berets”.  

My Father, Mark Saichompoo, is a retired Green Beret of 26 years, and says that he will be a Green Beret for life. I am still very connected to the Special Forces community with my lifelong brothers and that will continue for the rest of my life,” says Saichompoo. My Dad traveled to many many countries and served through Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Operations Enduring Freedom Afghanistan, Iraq, and Philippines. Though being one of America’s elite warriors he was still a great father to myself and my brothers. He taught us all that freedom isn’t free and that we should never take freedom for granted.

The United States Army Special Forces, known as the Green Berets because of their distinctive service headgear, are a special operations force tasked with five primary missions: unconventional warfare (the original and most important mission of Special Forces), foreign internal defense, special reconnaissance, direct action, and counter-terrorism. The first two emphasize language, cultural, and training skills in working with foreign troops. Other duties include combat search and rescue (CSAR), counter-narcotics, counter-proliferation, hostage rescue, humanitarian assistance, humanitarian demining, information operations, peacekeeping, psychological operations, security assistance, and manhunts.

Adam McCaw, is a retired Green Beret of 6 years, and says, “I liked how SF was a “Jack of all trades. The (Green Berets) could think things out before moving forward, instead of other units thinking they could just do it. They learned how to look around and see what they had to work with,” says McCaw. Adam served in Afghanistan and put his life on the line everyday while there to help stamp out terrorism that had spread worldwide affecting even US soil on 9/11 at the New York City Trade Towers.

Ike Slaughter, a retired Special Forces Soldier of 30 years stated, “Becoming a Special Forces Operator is quite close to being an engineer, it really changes your thinking”. Ike also commented, “In Special Forces we had learned quite a few languages, I had to  learn Spanish, German, Greek, and Korean” said Slaughter. Ike served in numerous countries throughout his long career in many wars and conflicts. His ability to block out fear to complete missions to protect our freedom in far off lands makes him “One of America’s Best” as stated in the Ballad of the Green Berets the Special Forces official song.

Currently in today’s society it is quite challenging to find people who want to join the Special Forces since it is one of the hardest military organizations to become a member of.  Luckily my Dad, Saichompoo knows a college student that is nearing graduation from law school, but he wants to pursue becoming a Special Forces Green Beret.  I had to opportunity to speak with him about his dreams of achieving what few will ever even try to accomplish. I asked him what job on a Special Forces team would you like? J.R. told me, “I thought of medical school as an option before law school, so I’d have to go with Medical Sergeant.” J.R. like the fact that Special Forces will not only be physically and mentally challenging but intellectually challenging as well. Approximately 1% of high school students attempt to make a career in the Special Forces Green Berets, it takes both brains and brawn to become part of this unique Army.

“Never take for granted the freedom given from an elite fighting force that performs day in and day out risking their lives fighting for freedom and the United States of America”, Saichompoo said.  If we didn’t have these elite fighters we wouldn’t have the freedoms we enjoy today, these are the most trained and equipped warriors. Don’t assume every day in America will be the same just because, respect those men, known as the Green Berets, who continue to put themselves in danger to protect our freedom.