Fact of Fiction: The Myths of Big Sky High School

Kallie Rodda

Was Big Sky meant to be a prison?

Kallie Rodda, Staff Writer

Big Sky was designed like a prison:

Fiction.

“Big Sky was built and designed by a construction worker from California. Our school was designed like a California school, they have classrooms back to back, a covered sidewalk, and then more classrooms back to back,” says Big Sky teacher Kim Lucostic. Since we live in Montana, they made the covered sidewalk into a hallway. That is why we don’t have many windows in our school.

Big Sky has a swimming pool on the roof:

Fiction.

No we don’t have a pool on the roof of our building. That rumor has been going around our school for a very long time. The pool is believed to be above the gym. But it would be impossible to but a pool up there.

Big Sky is haunted:

Unknown.

It is actually unknown if our school is haunted. Some believe that the stage is haunted. According to Senior Maddy Cawley the stage is haunted by the “stage ghost” and it likes to move stuff. “The stage ghost moves things and it turns lights on and off.”

Big Sky is in debt:

Fiction.

No, Big Sky is not in debt. There was a rumor going around that our school couldn’t afford paper. Well it’s not true. Principal Jennifer Courtney told the Sun Journal that the teachers or departments can pay for their own paper, but they have the option to go to a print shop. “The teachers buy their own paper. They can take their stuff to the print shop and get it for no cost to us.”

Big Sky has a basement:

Fact/Fiction.

According to band kids, there is a hole the band room. According to Senior Ethan Boehner, the band hole runs under the whole band room. “The band hole is a hole that originates from one of the closets in the band room. It actually goes under the entire band room and possibly the whole school.” However Big Sky does not have an actual basement.

Seniors hate freshman:

Fact and Fiction.

It is both because some seniors dislike freshman, while others don’t.

Senior Lizzie Clawson said that she can see that they’re disliked because of their behavior, but she doesn’t dislike them. “No, I do not hate freshman. I can see why many students do based on their behavior. However, those people who say they “hate” freshman don’t necessarily hate the person but merely some of their immature behavior and actions. This is also a stereotype. Not all freshman are immature, they just have a lot to learn before they start the next chapter of their life.”