Wrestling wins blowout against Hellgate, 69-5

Senior night brings victory for Eagles

Ava McPhillips

Seniors shake hands with family in the senior night ceremony.

Ava McPhillips, Sports Writer

The Big Sky Eagles went up against the Hellgate Knights Wednesday at 6:30 at Big Sky High school. Big Sky beat Hellgate 69 to 5 in a blowout meet.

After the first two wrestlers, senior Dayton Evans and sophomore Hunter Meinzen, easily pinned their opponents, senior Jett Rebish had the first tight match of the night but came out with a win, beating his match up 3-0.

After two more easy wins, senior Mason Corcoran pinning and senior Wyatt Shinn having an open match, Big Sky suffered their first and only loss of the night: Senior Joey Robinson came out with an early lead, but the Hellgate player slowly came back, causing them to have to go into overtime after a 4-4 tie. In overtime, Joey chose the down position to try to score some points but instead got pinned.

Robinson’s loss awarded Hellgate 5 points and they started to gain some momentum. But that momentum quickly died after both lightweights, freshman Zane Martin and freshman Isaac Ayers won by pin, ending the match and securing the score at 69-5.

This match was also senior night. We said goodbye to many amazing seniors players including Tony Silveira, Dayne Martin, Isaac Skillicorn, Dayton Evans, Tristen Hauerwas, Wyatt Shinn, Mason Corcoran, and Joey Robinson. All of these players have contributed a lot to the team and will be missed next year.

This Saturday, the Eagles will take part in one of the largest regional wrestling tournaments of the year, the John Fisher Tournament, right here at Big Sky. The first match will start at 9 am.