Jake Gardanier

Hayden Ellis eats a sandwich in Spanish class.

All Hail The Underdog

Sophomore Hayden Ellis has always been able to overcome adversity to prove people wrong.

October 29, 2019

Who is the face of Big Sky? In other words, who do you think of when you think of Big Sky. Many people may say it’s someone like seniors Everett Fred and Erin Murphy, the student body president, Jett Rebish, a star running back for the football team and, Whitney Morrison, an all-state soccer player, but I like to think it’s Hayden Ellis. He may only be a sophomore, but he brings a lot to the table.

Pam Beasley from the TV show, “The Office” says, “There’s a lot of beauty in ordinary things.” Hayden is the definition of this quote. He may seem like an ordinary kid, but he has a lot to offer. He’s a kid who’s always happy and nice to be around, he’s a very smart kid who has had a 3.8 GPA all through high school, and he loves playing sports.

Hayden enjoys a lot of different sports, but one he really shines at is golf. He so dedicated to golf that he gives the sport two hours, 5 days a week. This last summer he also worked at the golf course. This year Hayden placed 15th in state. But Hayden doesn’t just play golf.

Last year, Hayden Ellis made the Freshman basketball team. He didn’t play a lot, but when he got in he didn’t miss. No, seriously, he didn’t miss! That season he took two mid-range jump shots which were almost 3 pointers and made both of them with ease. “I didn’t get to play much, so I just made what I had when I got in.” Hayden worked every practice and gave the game his all and, in the end, he was able to sink two great shots.

A lot of times Hayden is regarded as being short, as he stands at 5’5”. This is definitely a struggle in his life, he says, as some kids have teased him about it and it has affected his sports life. Although it’s difficult to hear all this backlash, Hayden keeps his head up, “I just ignore it and do what I gotta do.”

So, is Hayden the face of Big Sky? That might not be the right question. The better question is who represents Big Sky the best? And to that question: someone who deals with adversity, someone who’s willing to work harder than everyone else, and someone who is the underdog. No one better fits this description than Hayden Ellis.

Big Sky Sun Journal • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Big Sky Sun Journal Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *