Big Sky Sun Journal

Busy at Big Sky

More stories from Gabe Bailey

Changes Coming Next Year: New Principal, Cell Phones, and Parking

Mrs. Courtney hard at work.

Mrs. Courtney hard at work.

Mrs. Courtney hard at work.

This summer Mrs. Courtney and the Big Sky staff will be making changes over the summer for the upcoming school year. Two changes have been announced via email and they involve cell phones and the student parking lot.

Mrs. Courtney wants to let everyone know that everyone at Big Sky will have a voice and they can voice their opinions about these changes before the school year starts.

The first change they might be making is about students and their cell phones. Mrs. Courtney in an email she sent out to all students and their parents said,  “In each classroom you will see a cell phone holder. It will be up to each classroom teacher/staff member how they would like to implement this holder”. She wants cell phones to be used as a tool for learning and not as a distraction and hopes these holders will help students focus more on their academics.

The second announcement that might happen is about the student parking lot at Big Sky. First off in the email Mrs. Courtney said, “Each student driver will be issued a hanging tag, this will be required in your vehicle when parking in the student lot”. The students will have to have a tag showing they are a student at Big Sky and if they don’t have a tag then they can be ticketed for it.

She also said, “There will also be no more parking in the Staff/Visitors lot and the F building lot”. If you park in those spots even with a tag you can be ticketed because those are reserved for staff and visitors.

The final thing she brought up about parking lots is about parking there at night. She said, “We will also be adding Big Sky light banners along with gates that will lock the parking lot between the hours of 9pm-7am.  There will be no more night parking in the Big Sky parking lots!” She and the staff do not want students parking there at night and causing mayhem.

At the end of her email she said, “Sometimes change can be hard…I am always available and willing to listen to ideas, please come see me this summer!” She wants people to come to her and talk about this stuff because she wants Big Sky to be a place of learning. In the end Big Sky is a school and that is a students job. It should not be a place to get distracted by your phones and the parking lot should not be a hangout spot for students.

About the Writer
Gabe Bailey, Intro to Journalism

I am 17.

I am a man.

I like basketball and football.

I go to Big Sky.

I aspire to live in the hills.